I’m going to put my mind to doing something I’ve wanted to for a while. I’ve wanted to test out all of the options in NYC’s vegan ice cream offerings but haven’t had the chance to yet. I’ve been to what many describe as the vegan ice cream haven, the ice cream shop formerly known as Lula’s Sweet Apothecary, and it’s everything you could expect. Lula’s is an amazing ice cream shop with great service, and an unpretentious vibe and amazing flavors. The cake batter soft serve is the stuff of ice cream-y dreamies. But, given that I don’t always have cash and they are cash only, sometimes I’m relegated to something else that’ll accept my boring debit card.
So I’m going to try doing something simultaneously with my regular posts. I’m writing about it as an intention to complete while I do what is normally a part of vegan MoFo, which I’ve already been slackin’ with.
I’ll be trying the ice cream offerings at:
- 16 Handles, a fro-yo chain with new vanilla soy yogurt,
- Chloe’s Soft Serve Fruit Co. with all vegan ice cream made with bananas (yes it’s what you make at home)
- Alchemy Creamery, an artisanal ice cream company from Williamsburg
- Van Leeuwen, who have both a truck and a storefront in the downtown NYC area and 4 solid vegan flavor
- Steve’s — not a store but a really highly acclaimed local small-batch ice cream company